BREAKING NOW
Apr 3, 2025 4:52 pm
Global Media Network
Napoleon Solo Wins Preakness Shock
Preakness Stakes winner Napoleon Solo delivered a major surprise on Saturday after beating Iron Honor in a thrilling finish to claim the 151st running of the famous race. The colt fought hard in the final stretch and secured his first win of the year after two disappointing fifth-place finishes earlier this season. The race took place at Laurel Park in Maryland because Pimlico Race Course is currently under reconstruction. The race became one of the most open Preakness contests in recent years after Golden Tempo was ruled out. His absence left 14 horses competing for the second jewel of the Triple Crown. Many racing experts expected Taj Mahal to win after he entered the race as the top betting choice at 9-2 odds. Those were the longest odds for a Preakness favorite since the race changed to its current distance in 1925. Iron Honor had originally opened as the morning-line favorite but entered the starting gate at 8-1 odds after betting markets shifted before the race. Taj Mahal started strongly and quickly moved into the lead. The unbeaten colt covered the first quarter-mile in 22.66 seconds and appeared in control during the early stages. However, the pace became difficult to maintain late in the race. Napoleon Solo, sent off at 7-1 odds, began closing the gap near the top of the stretch. The colt surged forward with a powerful run and overtook Taj Mahal before holding off a late challenge from Iron Honor. Iron Honor pushed hard in the closing moments but finished one and one-quarter lengths behind the winner. Chip Honcho finished third at 11-1 odds. The victory marked a major career moment for trainer Chad Summers and jockey Paco Lopez. It was the first Triple Crown race victory for both men. Napoleon Solo returned $17.80 on a $2 winning bet. The colt had shown strong promise last year after winning his first two races by large margins. One of those victories came in the prestigious Champagne Stakes, where he won by six and one-half lengths in October. But his form dropped earlier this year. Before the Preakness, Napoleon Solo finished fifth in both the Fountain of Youth Stakes and the Wood Memorial. Iron Honor also competed in the Wood Memorial earlier this season. Napoleon Solo finished ahead of him there as well, and history repeated itself again in Maryland. After the race, Summers said many people had doubted the horse after his poor results this year. He explained that critics believed Napoleon Solo was no longer the same horse that dominated the Champagne Stakes as a younger colt. Summers also admitted some people may question the strength of the Preakness field because several top horses skipped the race. However, he said the rest of the racing season will show how strong his horse really is. Three horses from this year’s Kentucky Derby also competed in the Preakness. Ocelli finished fourth, Incredibolt came fifth, and Robusta ended the race in ninth place. Horse racing fans will now turn their attention to the final race of the Triple Crown season. The Belmont Stakes is scheduled for June 6 in Saratoga Springs. Racing experts will closely watch whether Napoleon Solo can continue his comeback and challenge for another major victory after his dramatic Preakness success.
Got a Story to Share?
Join our network of global voices. Whether you're an experienced journalist or a passionate writer with a unique perspective, GMN offers a platform to reach millions.
Stay in the loop with news, offers, and writing opportunities.

©️ 2025-2026 GMN Group LLC - Global Media Network. All rights reserved.