BREAKING NOW
Apr 3, 2025 4:52 pm
Global Media Network
US Military Strike Hits Alleged Drug Boat Again
The U.S. military drug boat strike in the eastern Pacific Ocean on Friday killed three men, officials said. This was the second reported strike on an alleged drug‑smuggling vessel this week and brings the total number killed by such operations to at least 148 since last September. U.S. Southern Command, which leads operations in Latin America and the Caribbean, said intelligence confirmed the vessel was traveling along known drug trafficking routes and was involved in narcotics operations. No U.S. military personnel were harmed, the command said. A short video posted by the command showed the boat hit, catching fire and eventually sinking. This attack followed another strike earlier in the week that killed 11 people, marking one of the deadliest actions in the campaign so far. Combined, these incidents have pushed the death toll in alleged drug‑boat strikes to at least 148 people over 43 known events since last September. U.S. officials say the strikes are part of a long-term effort to disrupt drug trafficking networks in the region. The military says these operations are essential to reducing the flow of illegal drugs into the United States. Southern Command emphasized that intelligence confirmed the vessels were on established trafficking routes and engaged in narcotics activity before being targeted. Despite official statements, critics question the legality of the strikes. Human rights experts and some lawmakers argue that many people killed might not have been directly involved in violent activity or large-scale drug trafficking. Analysts warn that targeting civilians or suspects without clear evidence could violate U.S. law and international rules. Groups like the ACLU have said such strikes may count as extrajudicial killings and are illegal under international law. Leadership changes at Southern Command have added to the debate. General Francis Donovan took over after Admiral Alvin Holsey retired abruptly, reportedly over disagreements regarding the strike strategy. Lawmakers have raised concerns over the use of military force in international waters for largely domestic crimes, pointing to potential legal and ethical issues. Supporters of the strikes argue that decisive military action is needed to disrupt drug networks and save lives. Critics insist that more oversight, legal clarity, and congressional review are required to ensure these operations do not cross legal boundaries. As U.S. military operations against suspected drug-smuggling boats continue, questions remain about their legality, effectiveness, and the growing death toll. The outcome may depend on ongoing legal reviews, congressional oversight, and public debate on balancing national security with international and domestic law.
Got a Story to Share?
Join our network of global voices. Whether you're an experienced journalist or a passionate writer with a unique perspective, GMN offers a platform to reach millions.
Stay in the loop with news, offers, and writing opportunities.

©️ 2025-2026 GMN Group LLC - Global Media Network. All rights reserved.